Saturday, March 12, 2022

Why I Switched Back to Samsung from OnePlus Phone?

 Every person has their own preferences and needs. Every one of use are using our phones in a slightly different manner. I think there is no perfect phone. Each one will some small thing that will annoy one person or the other.

That being said, at the end of 2019 I switched from Samsung to OnePlus. I was a long time Samsung Note user, but the OnePlus 7T McLaren promissed an interesting opportunity. Now, in spring 2022, I am switching back to Samsung S22 Ultra.

The pros and cons, from my personal perspective are the following.

OnePlus:

+ Cost only slightly more than half of the Samsung phone.
+ Snapdragon CPU that allows Google Camera.
+ No punch holes or cutouts on the screen.
- Very  ... very, very, very ... slippery phone.
- No single camera app I can use for both photo and video. Heck the builtin camera cannot record video without stuttering since the Android 11 update. Google camera cannot record slow motion and stabilization is not very good.
- Proximity sensor when talking on the phone is rubbish. The screen activates all the time and I am pressing random buttons with my ears.
- Screen is has very poor visibility in direct sunlight.
- No S-Pen, and using simple pens with rubbery top is OKish, but not very precise.
- Battery life is average at best, but it goes through the day.
- No water proffing.


Samsung:

+ Amazing screen, good visibility in all conditions.
+ S-Pen ... I grown used to it during the years.
+ Not slippery, low risk of dropping it when your hands are sweaty.
+ Water proof.
+ No issues with proximity sensor.
+ Keep screen on while looking at it ... I hate that my OnePlus shuts down the screen if I am not touching it and just slowly reading through something or analyzing something that takes longer than the screen timeout.
+ Good camera with builtin Samsung camera app.
- Can't use Google Photos in camera app as default gallery for quick preview.
- There is a whole in the screen.
- The phone's edges are not rounded, leading to a less comfort while holding with the corner in your palm.
- Very expensive.


Conclusion: Pluses here, minuses there. At the end, the Samsung wins for me. Others may prefer other brands, but I am going back to Samsung for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment